1. Diet should be very balanced and nutritional. But with our expanding taste buds, unfortunately this is not always possible. So the best way is to eat for taste but at the same time make up for the vitamins and the minerals in the form of oral preparations. Vitamins requirement differs with all age groups and also the sex . For anybody above 20 years, it is important to start taking an oral antioxidant preparation in the form of a capsule.
2. Sunscreen and that too of a good SPF of at least 20 should be used on your skin daily . It is a must for all ages. Also the sunscreen should be used at least 20 minutes before leaving the house. For ladies, if any make up is to be applied, it should be applied after the sunscreen.
3. Good skincare routine suited to your skin type is very essential. Cleansing is a general skin care routine. Soaps should be avoided on the face and a face wash according to your skin type should be used. If heavy make up is applied, that should first be removed with a deep pore cleanser with cotton and then face wash. Toning is good for open pores. A gel toner is preferred over a lotion. It should be done at night after the cleansing. Moisturiser is to be the last thing applied to you skin at night. The type of moisturizer depends on your skin type, but it should contain rich nourishing ingredients.
4. Detoxification removes the toxins and other waste from the body that make our skin look dull and lifeless. Just a simple paste of coriander leaves, mint and curry patta, mixed 1/3 each taken early morning is a good detox formula and also helps in weight control.
5. Deworming is a must for all at all ages and this is the best way to start your new year too. All you have to do is to take Tab Albendazole 400 mg once in six months is a good health care regime.
6. Avoid getting tanned. Sun not only makes your skin pigmented, it also causes early aging and premature wrinkles. However, tanning is something that is ineviatable at times. Don’t panic !! Take a piece of ripe papaya or a ripe babana and rub it for 15 min on the tanned area of the body. Wash it off and use a moisturizer containing AHA’s or tea tree oil.
7. Men need to wake up to skin care too. Avoid using after shave lotion which had irritant ingredients. Use a skin soothener like aloe vera gel or a calamine lotion in case of a shaving rash.
8. Take care of dry, dark and scaly hands and feet, especially in winters. Hands and feet are the first victims of cold weather. Since these areas lack the moisture content and the skin is very thick which goes dry easily, they have to be constantly moisturised. But prior to moisturisation, the dead skin in these areas should be exfoliated or scrubbed out, This will ensure better penetration of the product applied. Also soon after the application of the cream, it is advisable to either apply some heat like paraffin treatment. Or else a gloves and socks can be used to prevent wiping off of the product. Once a month manicure and pedicure will do good.
9. Warning signs to see a dermatologist ! When do you really need to see a skin specialist is the time when you suffer from a medical condition like acne, pigmentation, etc. or when your own skin care products are not showing you optimum results to your satisfaction. 2011 can be a good start for a Botox shot or a filler injection or a pixel laser . Enquire with your dermatologist about these advanced skin care options
10. Hair and nail are very much a part of your skin and the care for these starts right with the skin care. Biotin ( vitamin H) consumed daily in 10mg dosage is good for hair and nail nutrition. However the individual problem should be tackled. For example, dry, frizzy hair. Dry fizzy hair and that too recently, can be a sign of hormonal imbalance or thyroid deficiency or due to malnutrition or protein deficiency. Please rule out any such cause . Correction of the cause works well. In addition, dry frizzy hair require hot oil massage once a week. Use a normal shampoo for hair wash and lots of conditioner. Avoid too much coloring, perming and other chemical treatments. You can also use a home made mask of soaked and grinded fenugreek seeds. Use also a zinc pyrithrone and ketoconazole containing shampoo once a week.If the scalp is too itchy, use sebowash shampoo once a week for few washes.